Sunday, March 23, 2014

OrangeMitten's Choose the Outfit You Want To Pose the Rig In from -A-'s ClipTools Blog

Choose the Outfit You Want To Pose the Rig In

First and foremost, I did NOT write this tutorial. I take NO CREDIT for this. If the author/host of the original tutorial requests I take it down, I will do so gladly.


You can find the original tutorial HERE. All I'm doing is adding the pics that are missing from the other site. These are not the original pics, these are MY photos of the individual steps from my copy and set up of Blender.


I skipped the first part about cloning your CAS item from s3oc, because there are other pics on that site the describes and shows how to do that. So do that before you begin with this set.




Changing the Rig’s Clothing
In the Outliner over on the right hand side find the line that has
the rig in it.  For the female rig this line will say afRig.
Click the + next to it to expand it.


Right click on the part that you want to replace and select Delete
from the Outliner Object Operation dropdown menu which appears.


You will notice that part of the mesh disappears from the 3D view window leaving only the rig (bones & joints) behind.


The Scene tab should be selected by default when you import the rig.  If it is not you will need to click it.


The S3PY Rig Tools should be expanded by default but if they aren’t
click the black triangle next to the title to expand that area.
Scroll down if you cannot see this area or if you cannot see the Load
CAS button in this area.   Click the Load CAS button.


Navigate to where you saved the clothing item.  Click on the
item and then click the Import Sims 3 Prop in the upper right hand
corner.  Remember to remove both top and bottom garments from the
rig before opening your item if you’re planning on loading a 1 piece
garment.
You will see your new clothing item(s) appear on the rig in the 3d
view and you are ready to create your pose or animation.  Note that
some changes of clothing may cause the hands and other exposed skin to
turn white or black.  This will not affect your pose or animation
but if you would like to fix it so it shows skin texture there continue
to the next steps.  If you choose instead to begin making your pose
right away select a joint on the rig and switch to Pose mode first.


Click the Texture button on the right hand side.  It looks like a
red and white checkered box.  A new box will open below.
Scroll down to the first empty line and right click on it.


After you click on the empty line it will turn blue and a bar that
says New will show up below.  Click the checkered box next to the
bar.  Do not click where it says New click the checkered box.
     ~Sunny's note- I did NOT have to right click the empty line. Clicking it with the left mouse button worked. Right clicking it did nothing.


A menu will pop up.  Select afBody_m.


The empty line you selected will now show the afBody_m.  Use the
up arrow on the right to move it above the Multiplier for your garment.


In the Outliner box above you will notice two lines that start with
afBody.  One is selected and this is the one you have added the
skin texture to.  Click the other to select it so that it turns
white.  Again click the first empty line and when the bar that says
New in it shows up click the checkered box next to it.  Select
afBody_m from the menu.


Move afBody_m above the Multiplier as before and you will see you now have skin showing on the appropriate parts of your rig.


The skin will not be completely correct yet so scroll down to the Mapping section and change Generated to UV:
     ~Sunny's note- do this for both of the afBody rig files you changed.


If you’re in Object mode after adding the clothes and skin texture
just click a joint on the rig and switch back over to Pose mode to begin
creating your pose.
     ~Sunny's final note-Be sure to select the Scene tab again to be able to use your Clip Tools!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Personal notes from Sunny- Hair works the same way as CAS items. But! in my testing I was only able to get hair to work if it had been cloned using S3oc. I couldn't get a, oh let's say a PeggyZone (FOR EXAMPLE only) hair to show up on my rig. This is in my testing only. It might work for you.
Another note- depending on the outfit you have imported there may only be One afbody_m (or ambody_m, or whatever depending on your rig) to add the skin texture to. It's quite alright if you don't have two.

7 comments:

  1. I only just read this. Sorry.
    And I didn't even read most of it, I mainly looked at the pictures.

    I wonder if this would help any towards my goal of making cc clothes...? Maybe I should read it and find out, huh? ;)

    I will read this one day, and I will use it!! I'll make a male child, and do away with the toddler bodysuit, and the baby blanket! :D Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fine! I'm sure it'll teach you a few things you ought to know about Blender if you want to make cc. But there's no rush.

      And that's an awesome goal. This is how I made the female child rig for you without the awful/obstructive bodysuit on. And with the added pigtails. ;) It's helpful for doing just that. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. OMG, thank-you soooo much for this! I have literally been wanting this tutorial with pics for over a year now! :D I followed this tutorial and I finally have skin tone on my rig! YAY!!

    I just noticed one thing though, I only had one one afbody outfit file rather than the two files that you had in the tutorial, so I only applied the skin tone & UV setting to that one file and it seemed to work fine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was just that particular outfit. Most of the ones I tried only had one also. I'm so glad you got it to work!

      Delete
  3. Oh also, I was wondering if you might know about this.... (and sorry that this is kinda off-topic, but it does have to do with clipping) but you know the fat/thin/fit morphs in Blender? Well you know how they have these values you type in to change them? I was wondering if you might know of a way to see these number values when creating a Sim in CAS? Just because when you use the sliders in CAS is to change a sims body type it is a bit of a guessing game.
    I am wondering if there is a mod somewhere or a file that might show this? If you don't know, that's totally fine but I just thought I might ask, as I hate clipping with a passion! :)

    I was wanting to ask this question on Sims3Cliptool, but it sadly seems to be rather inactive these days :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. There are a couple of ways, both requiring NRaas MasterController. I'm sure you also can with AwesomeMod, but I wouldn't know how to do that. ;)

      1.) either shift click, or right click on the slider in question while in CAS ( I can't remember which) and a dialog box will pop up with a number in it. If you are wanting the fat/thin number, you'll need to make the number positive and multiply by two (That one always gets me and I have to guesstimate in the end. One slider in game, two in Blender. And yet there is no breast slider. :/ )

      2.) The other method is to click on the sim->NRaas->MC->intermediate-> and then it's set weight? Or muscle size? Fitness? I believe? I need to go back in game! It's been too long. Lol. Anyhow, that should also give you a dialog with a number for you to use.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I have NRass (absolutely love it) Definitely going to play around with this and see how I go. And, yeah I need to get back to the game too. Been spending way more time in Blender lately :D

      Delete